It's been one of those days...I thought I'd fill the pop machine at work today... so I loaded up my cart and headed to the 2nd floor prior to everyone's arrival at 8. As I filled the rootbeer "column," cans rolled out onto the floor due to a misplaced can in the first slot. I unloaded them all and started over... this time one slipped and I heard the dreaded "pssssssst!" as it cracked open a tiny bit. Rootbeer spray! I had to unload the column again to find the culprit. And then unload them completely to wipe up the mess.
As I was working on this fiasco, a co-worker came in to start coffee. She got the pot brewing and chatted with me while helping me with the mess I had created. We turned around to see the coffee pot overflowing EVERYWHERE. We had to empty the cabinet, sop up a "bucket o'coffee" with a roll and a half of paper towel. Clean off all the little froo-froos that go with coffee, wipe everything down... get all the drips off the cabinet and floor mat...
As I locked up the pop machine, I found TWO cans of soda on the floor. I had to open up the beast again and placed them in their appropriate places, and off to work I went.
But not so fast.
I barely sat down at my desk when the phone rang. A panicked voice saying, "We have a major leak coming out of the ceiling on 2nd floor." I grabbed a trash can and my keys and headed upstairs. As I left my office, I could hear the phone ringing off the hook. (Sigh)
Yup! MAJOR leak! It was Niagara Falls in the hallway! The ladies on 2nd floor had assembled 12-14 trash cans to catch the water. They were emptying them out as fast as they could. I took off looking around for the main water shut off for the building! You'd think being the building manager, I'd know exactly where that was. I figured it out, but not before ceiling tiles soaked and everyone got into a frenzy! (I know now and had the plumber give me a lesson on which levers were which - I'm prepared for the next disaster)
Water shut off in the building means NO RESTROOMS. Of course today was a meeting with all the top dogs... um, Heads of the Church here. Being bathroomless on such a day was not a good thing. They ended up packing up all their files and folders and moved their meeting to a church about 12 miles away. A church with working restrooms.
Staff left behind was beside themselves with "WHAT TO DO" if we need a restroom! Our office is across the street from a video store, which is next to a Burger King, which is a block from a McDonalds. Do we need to call a meeting to figure this out?
One person actually came to ask me how long the building would stay open without restrooms. My response... "SERIOUSLY?" She nodded.. me: "Seriously?"
All of this happened before 9 a.m. this morning.
HVAC guy was here (not his problem) and the plumber finally showed up around 11. A cast iron drain pipe had ruptured and is fixed. I think...
My phone just rang (2:54 p.m.): "Katie, there's water on the floor in the 3rd floor ladies room."
..................let me go home, please!
At least it wasn't Monday, right? Tomorrow will be smooth as silk! It has to!
ReplyDelete