9/08/2014

A Memorial to Bill...

Bill... Big brother, Billy Boy, SWOGIII (Sir William of Grogan the Third), BBB... And as many of his friends called him, Grogan.  Bill had more stitches, broken bones, black eyes and bizarre accidents than anyone I know.  Memories of a long lost nick name pops up... and that is Wild Bill!

When Bill was 9, he had four little sisters buzzing around... How relieved he must have been to finally get a brother!  I don't think it was everything he hoped for as there is nothing four little girls like better than to have a real live baby doll!  Yet Bill survived, as did Tom!

Bill was quite a character. I'm sure we all have stories to share to prove that.  He was one of those guys who could make conversation with anyone, any age.  He delighted the little kids with his duck quacks... Which I doubt could be duplicated by anyone here.  Bill held many degrees from the University... And many, many more from his life experiences.  Like mom, Bill was very thoughtful and kind.  And like dad, Bill enjoyed math problems, word games and deep discussions.... And just like dad, he found himself an amazing woman.  Judi... You will always be a part of the Grogan family. 

My last visit with Bill was about a month ago.  He and Judi brought me a box of gourds that they had grown and put in one of their sheds to dry.  On Monday, I opened the box to look at Bill's final gift to me.  I was amazed at what I found.  I had given Bill & Judi some seeds for miniature gourds called "spinners" a few years ago.  I never heard anything about them, and assumed they never planted them, or that they failed to grow.  In the box, there were several big round gourds and then dozens and dozens of miniature "spinners" spilled out. I washed them up, marveling at the sturdy little gourds.  I thought about painting them as gifts, and then quickly became fascinated with the beautiful spots and shading that had formed on them as they dried.  The aging of these little gourds had colored them differently... Each unique and quite spectacular, not unlike Bill.  

I offered those at my borther's memorial to pIck a little gourd from my basket.  Each had been marked with a little "bee" of the bottom.  Friends were told to keep it as it is, paint it, or crack it open and plant the seeds to see if they could get it to "Grow-again."  I think Bill and Judi would like that... 

Bill Grogan. April 6, 1947 - August 30, 2014
Rest in a glorious peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting me!